Friday, March 30, 2012

It was a Great Day...

Back in January, we purchased tickets for Avery and I to go to Boston to see the Fresh Beat Band live in Boston.  Unfortunately, we could only get 2 tickets, so Josh didn't get to come.  However, even though we missed him, it resulted in a great girls' day out!  We decided to keep it a secret from Avery until the morning of.  Needless to say, she was really excited - a bit confused at first, but excited nonetheless.  Here is she all dressed up to go (if you look closely, you will see her clip on earrings that she insisted on wearing...)



The concert started at noon, so I took advantage of the opportunity and decided to go out for a big, greasy breakfast before driving up to Boston.  I mean, clearly this was the best way to keep her full and to avoid any possibility of a hunger-driven meltdown (not to mention, to satisfy mom's craving for a big, greasy breakfast)...

After breakfast, we drove to Boston.  Man - one would think that I had never been in that city.  I was so freaking lost, it was sad.  But, we managed to make it in plenty of time.

As you can imagine, it was complete chaos once you entered the doors of the theater. I think that every kid in New England was there that day.  Holy crap.  And, not only was every kid in New England there, but every kid in New England was purchasing these....for TEN DOLLARS!!!!!


I still can't get over the fact that those things were $10 - such a racket.  BUT, it worked because EVERY kid had them. I hate to think about what some of these parents paid for this concert in total.  Considering, we paid $60 for the tickets and were in THE.LAST.ROW.OF.THE.THEATER...

It was actually rather comical - when we walked up the first flight of stairs, I handed our tickets to the woman at the theater and she just gave me this pathetic look and said that we could be continuing up another 2 flights of stairs, so to just keep going until we could go no further...she wasn't kidding! 

It actually turned out well because Avery is still getting to the point where she is OK with loud noises, so the further away the better with this stuff, I think.  And, we could still see the show just fine.



For those of you who know Avery, she isn't the type to go nuts and dance in the aisle at things like this.  Instead, she tends to analyze the situation a bit from a far and enjoys it at her own pace (she is truly Josh's daughter in that sense).  She did sing to pretty much every song that they played, which was really cute.  And, don't worry - I made up for the lack of movement - I was THAT mom who was dancing and singing to the entire thing (clearly the last row in the theater is a good place for me to be as well...).  Sorry about the sideways video...


After the show, we went out and sat in Boston Common for a bit to try to figure out what we were going to do for lunch.  And, as I was sitting there, I realized that there was a T Stop right there, so we decided to ride the T!  Something I hadn't done in forever and I figured she'd get a kick out of it...


It happened to be 80 degrees and sunny in Boston that day, which was perfect weather to walk around and to sit outside and have lunch.  It was great - I had a glass of wine and we had lunch out on the patio at a restaurant on Boylston Street.  It couldn't have been any better.


After lunch, I promised Avery that we could go to Ben and Jerry's on Newbury for some ice cream...



And, after that, we got back on the T, but before we did, there was a homeless guy standing on the landing of the stairs going down to the T, so putting my "mother of a girl who is going to catholic school and taught to be kind to all people" hat on, I gave her some money to put in the man's cup. I have to say - she impressed me.  On the way home, she told me that I have to be sure to find that man again the next time we are in Boston because she has a lot more money that she wants to give to him.  I thought that was really sweet.  Granted, she still doesn't really understand the true meaning of money (and the fact that it is actually my money that she is talking about handing out to everyone and anyone), but the fact that she was being so giving was very sweet.

Needless to say, it was a very long day and she was exhausted.  She slept for the second we got in the car until we got home (which was approx 2 hours). 



Although it was a long day, it really was a great day - the concert was great, the weather was great and the company was great (my round face in this picture?  not so great. please disregard). 


No comments:

Post a Comment