Friday, September 9, 2011

A Week of Firsts

Two very big things happened this last week:

1) Al got his first haircut!!!! I'm sure any of you who have seen pictures of him have wondered when in the hell that was going to happen.  Well, I had initially not wanted to do it because of the horror story STILL told by my family of my cousin having these gorgeous blond curls and then getting them cut off during his first haircut, only for them never to return again.  I was convinced that is what would happen with Al.  I did manage to get over this fear, but only when his curls in the back were getting so long that, when not curled (after waking up, etc), his hair was so long it practically reached the middle of his back.  I mean, look at his hair pre-cut!




So, while I loved the curls, I am not a fan of mullets and decided to get his hair cut. 






2) Avery started Pre-K at her new school!  She started last Thursday and then had off on Friday for a long Labor Day Weekend, so she was only there for one day last week, but it was enough to completely wipe her out.  Wow - I've never seen her so exhausted.  But, I guess that is a good thing?  She didn't have to wear her uniform until the following week, but of course, I still needed the official "first day of school" picture (please tell me I'm not the only one whose parents insisted on these EVERY year until COLLEGE!)...

And, then, the "first day of school in her uniform pictures..."




She had a very weird smile that day.  Disregard.

I have to say, this going to school thing is a bit tricky.  First of all, our schedule in the mornings.  I mean, just to give you an idea of everything that went wrong on that first day....

1.  I had anxiety about the day starting at approx. 2 AM and it didn't end until approx. 430 AM - about 45 mins before my alarm went off


2. Part of the reason for the anxiety was remembering that I didn't fill out the THREE IDENTICAL cards with all of Avery's emergency info on them (one would think they could make copies of ONE card?????)

3. Get up at 6 am to fill out the cards only to realize that last night, I accidentally put a wipe (that I cleaned their hands with) on them, so they are all wet.

4. Left 15 mins later than I wanted to because I had to spend 10 mins drying the cards with my blow dryer

5. At drop off, the only one ok was Avery. Alex was a complete mess and screamed her name the entire drive to daycare afterwards

6. I leave Avery's school at the exact time I have to be at work and I still have to drop off Alex.

7. On the way to daycare, we get behind a bus that stops FIVE THOUSAND TIMES

8. After the bus turns, we nearly run into a COW!!!!!!!!! that had gotten out of the fence and was in the road.

9. When we get to daycare, Alex is still screaming and as it turns out, he has a huge poop in his pants

10. In order to get him to calm down, i agree to change him, which is now making me at least 20 mins late for work

11. As soon as I started work, I realized that my arm smelled like shit because he leaked through his diaper onto his shorts and then the stench got onto my arm.
 
Clearly most of this is my fault, as if I were a bit more organized, things like drying off emergency contact cards with a blow dryer wouldn't happen.
 
So, then, in keeping with a week of firsts - Josh and I had one as well - our first missed homework assignment!  You can imagine the panic that came over me when a friend of mine was emailing me on Tuesday morning complaining about the homework assignment for that weekend.  Um....what homework assignment?????  yeah...apparently when the teacher said, "be sure to check her folder every day because that is how I will be communicating with you and that is how we will be giving homework," she really meant EVERY day.  Turns out, Avery was supposed to bring home this bag and decorate it and then put things in it in order to share with the class.  So of course, since we didn't do it over the weekend, we had approximately 5 seconds on Tuesday night to get it done around gymnastics, dinner, baths and bedtime.  Awesome. 

I will say that the routine has gotten better and faster every morning.  I'm hoping that by Christmas, I'll actually make it to work on time!

No comments:

Post a Comment