Friday, June 10, 2011

ANE or ANH?

As it turns out, I believe Avery may have a bit of her aunt in her.  As you can imagine, I was not really all that into nature growing up.  Don't get me wrong, I liked being outside (and still do) and nowadays, I have developed a slight obsession with birds, which I guess one could take as "liking nature."  But, bugs and other creepy crawly things?  No.  I don't like them.  Don't like to see them.  Don't like to touch them.  My sister on the other hand?  She was all about that stuff growing up.  In fact, so much so that she actually had a "dead collection" which was an old shoebox filled with various dead things she found outside.  Needless to say, it didn't last long, as my mom wasn't overly fond of the "dead collection" smell that began to permeate throughout the garage. 

Avery has yet to start a dead collection, but she does seem to like the creepy crawly things and has no problem holding them, playing with them, feeding them, petting them and calling them George (name that movie).  No, but really - she likes this stuff, which makes me think that a few of the ANE genes got to her.  I noticed it a while ago - she has absolutely no qualms smooshing any bug, spider, etc. that we find in the house and she will be the first to get the paper towel to do so. 

Also, As I mentioned in the post on landscaping, she has recently taken in worms.  It started with 2 - Lucy and William.  Well, William broke.  Like, literally in half.  So, then, during round two of landscaping (which I haven't posted about because I'm not sure how many more plants you can handle acting like you are interested in), we found another worm -Stella.  So, Stella and Lucy now live in the bucket of damp dirt with their meals of blades of grass and their toy, the bubble wand.  Avery checks on them numerous times a day and keeps them with her whenever she is outside.  As you can see, she has moved onto playdough, but don't be concerned - the worms are right behind her. 




We also found a slug while landscaping. She did hold onto that for a while, but decided she wasn't as big of a fan of the slime trail that he left behind on her palm.  I will say that I'm ok with this bug thing.  It is nice knowing that my daughter will come to my rescue if ever a spider crosses my path.  However, if she starts to collect anything dead?  We may have to draw the line...

No comments:

Post a Comment