Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Down Right Balmy

You know it's been a bad winter when you consider 43 degrees to be warm. At this point, I do my best to get the kids out of the house if it is at least 35 degrees or warmer. Otherwise? We all go a bit batty and I get rather irritable. And, if you have ever been around me when I'm irritable, you know it is not a pretty sight.

SO, that said - this last weekend, I was going to take Deacon outside to throw the ball for him (which is something that we haven't been able to do for a while, as our yard has been one big ice skating rink for weeks) and on the way out the door, I figured I should bundle the kids up to take them outside as well - a) they needed to get out, as they too were getting irritable and b) considering Josh wasn't home and Alex can now open all doors in the house, including the basement door, it is no longer safe to keep them in the house unattended. Not that it ever was, but lately, it is even less safe.

So, we all went out and the first thing that the kids did? Went for the sandbox. The site of them in the sandbox while surrounded by snow and bundled up for the winter was somewhat comical, but it worked - it occupied them for a good 20 mins.






What the $#%#$% is this, you ask?


Well, you see - this is a bird feeder that Avery made out of a toilet paper roll at daycare.....in SEPTEMBER. Yes, this thing has literally been sitting in our kitchen since SEPTEMBER. It starts out on the island. And, then, when guests come, it moves over to the corner of the kitchen where I put a pile of various papers that I need to do something with (because I think that it is completely reasonable and understandable for everyone to have "that pile" in their kitchen - even when guests are over) and then it makes its way back to the island in an effort to put it somewhere where I will see it and remember to hang it. It has literally been making this journey between the island and "the corner" since SEPTEMBER. Well, no longer. While the kids were playing in the sandbox, I hung it on the tree. And, I even witnessed a bird eating from it the other day - apparently birds don't mind stale bird seed that has been sitting around since SEPTEMBER...






No comments:

Post a Comment