Thursday, December 15, 2011

Lesson Learned

So, in getting back to "Why is Whitney choosing this year to be ahead of the game when it comes to Christmas..."

Last Tuesday, I had surgery on my foot to remove (or, as the doctor says, "correct") a bunion.  As it turns out, while I may have looked all cute and fashionable (yes, people - there is sarcasm there) over the years, it may not have been worth it.  Because, essentially, what I was doing was putting my foot into shoes that happened to come to such a point that it resulted in the shoe being half the width of my foot. And, not only that, but these shoes have heels on them, so not only was I putting my foot into these shoes, but I was actually forcing them down into an area that was half the size of my foot.  When you do this for 8-12 hours a day, every Mon-Friday for years?  You get a bunion.  When I went to the doctor to have it looked at, he explained to me that I had already lost 75% of the mobility in my big toe -not to mention, my big toe was now curving so much to the left that it was actually starting to cover my small toe next to it (which, by the way, was really annoying when getting pedicures because inevitably, I would end up with polish on the side of my big toe), as you can see here on my left foot.  It actually doesn't look too bad in this picture.  But, trust me, by the time I got the surgery, my big toe looked like a boomerang and the lump was pretty large.


 
As a result, I figured it was probably time to get this done.

So, I went in and the surgery lasted for about 40 mins, recovery lasted for about 20 mins and I was on my way home!





 The first day?  Not so bad because it was still numb...until approximately 5 pm when the kids came home.  Then?  Not so numb.

Unfortunately, this surgery also coincided with one of the worst 2 week stints involving our youngest love of our life, which brings me to the "Alex being a disaster" thing.  Wow.  It was pretty crazy here for a while.  I mean, ever since we got back from Texas, Alex was a nightmare - temper tantrums over nothing, talking back (if I hear the word, "no!" one more time, I swear the kid will live in time out) and worst of all?  Bedtime.  We would put him down and unless we would stay in there and sit with him or rub his back?  He would SCREAM.  For literally an hour.  It was out of control. 

So, as you can imagine, I was a bit emotional after the surgery and was in pretty severe pain at this point and not only that, but as a mom, it is really hard to not be able to do things for your kids that you want to do.  So, night one -Alex screams.  I feel bad, so I literally crawl up the stairs, dragging my crutches and I sit in the doorway of his room with my foot propped up on his toy box until he falls asleep.   Then, at 2 am?  He wakes up screaming again.  At this point, I can't deal, so I call Josh (he had his cell with him by the bed, as I was sleeping on the couch downstairs) and ask him to bring Alex down to the couch and just have him sleep with me.  As you can imagine, the first night after having surgery with a foot that was in severe pain and sharing a COUCH (i.e., clearly not meant for two ppl to be sleeping side by side) with a 2 year old who tossed and turned all night was not really ideal.  It was miserable.  From then on, we just had to let him cry it out.  We did this for a good 5 nights straight.  It was so bad that we had to let Avery sleep in our room because she couldn't hear him as well in there.  We figured, it wasn't fair to her to keep her up with a brother who was screaming.  

I will say that things have gotten better.  Alex finally snapped out of this and has been a totally different child this week - thank god.  We still haven't figured out what the problem was.  I would assume it is primarily due to the change in routine, not having me to do the things that I typically do, vacation, etc.  But, whatever it was, I'm glad that he seems to have gotten over it.  My foot feels better.  Still not great and I still get tired if I try to do too much, but at least I can do a few more things around the house. 

I go back to the doctor in a week and at that point, I'm hoping they will say that I can put on a boot.  If they don't?  I may lose it.  As will Josh.  As will Avery and Alex. And, come to think of it, as will my parents considering they will then be left with the majority of Christmas prep when they are here.  It is really unbelievable how little you can do with crutches.  I mean, simple things like making coffee - once it's made, how do you get it to the table or to the couch so that you can drink it?  hmmmm.... 

At this point, even Avery understands the lesson learned - when asked?  Her response is "No more pointy shoes, Mommy!"  She's right.  Now, my only question is who is going to a) pay for all of my new non-pointy shoes and b) hem all of my pants considering they are at the height for heels? This bunion is proving to be rather expensive...

No comments:

Post a Comment