Monday, January 31, 2011

Success (kind of)!

Avery officially stayed in her bed for 10 nights (and, it really only took about 13 nights to do it)!



However, my plan nearly backfired for 2 primary reasons:

1. Turns out, she is deathly afraid of "the bear" (aka, Chuck E. Cheese- I guess he kind of does look like a bear) at Chuck E Cheese, which in turn, has caused her to not really want to go to Chuck E. Cheese after all. Note to self - next time we try to bribe our child, we may want to pick a prize that she actually wants and will want to work for.

Anyway - we did end up going this last weekend and, although she nearly had a nervous breakdown on the way there for fear of seeing the bear and having him talk to her, we made it in the door. However, this was only after I convinced her that the bear was, well first of all, a mouse. But, second of all, a machine that stays on the stage and does not walk around. We had a good time, although, I have to say, Chuck E. Cheese is nothing like I remember it. It has definitely become more, shall we say, "rough" in terms of clientele. I think that Avery put it well when she stated, "Mommy, there are a lot of ladies with babies in their bellies here!" Too bad they were babies themselves, but whatever. That's another topic.











2. The night after she obtained her 10 stickers, I find her out in the hallway about 5 mins after we had put her to bed. When she sees me, she exclaims, "Mommy! I'm a lucky girl. Do you know why? Because, I got 10 stickers, so I don't have to stay in my bed any more." Clearly, I had to explain to her that wasn't really how it works. And, in the next breath, I told her that we would immediately be starting another chart and this time, she can go ice skating at the end. :)


Although, I have to say, I've been wondering if I should take a different approach and if I should take something away that she loves each night she gets out of bed. However, the only thing that I can really think of is that I could make her wear pants every day following the night she gets out of bed. But, honestly? I'm not in the mood to have an absolute battle every morning over this, so I think that we'll stick to wearing dresses and ice skating....






No comments:

Post a Comment