Wednesday, September 15, 2010

We're walking, we're walking...

This last weekend, Lexi and I participated in our 5th MS Challenge Walk. Most years are 50 miles, but this year was 50 km’s (which is 30 miles – don’t worry, I had to look that one up as well), as Rash Hashanah????? fell on the Friday of the walk. So, we walked for 20 miles on Saturday (actually, 21.4 to be exact) and then 10 on Sunday. During the actual walking part of it, we were relatively thrilled that the second day was only 10 miles, but looking back, it would have been fun to have it be the 3 day walk that it typically is. 2011’s Walk is back to the 50 miles (and I’m sure, on day 2, mile 30, I’ll be wishing it was over, but whatever…).

Mom and Dad flew in on Thursday night, so we did our traditional pizza and boxed wine (because we are fancy like that) at our favorite pizza place in Providence that night. Lexi got in around lunch time on Friday, so we picked her up and hit Legal Seafood for lunch (where Alex had his second lunch of the day – and, we wonder why he is in the 90th percentile for everything?)



and then went to the Cape to get settled before the big day on Saturday. That night, we had Chinese food for dinner and realized one very sad thing – my youngest does not like Chinese food. I mean, one would think that a child who eats meat, veggies and fruit every day for lunch and dinner would enjoy meat and vegetables doused in gravy? But, nope. Avery on the other hand, enjoyed the Chinese and even liked the tea (does that stuff have caffeine in it? I guess I probably shouldn’t have given her any, but then again, she also shouldn’t have had the donuts, hot dogs, clam chowder and fried fish that she had that weekend, but she did – it was vacation, after all!).


The walk was great. It started with Lexi carrying the coveted TX flag during the flag ceremony. This is easily the highlight of the walk every year for Lexi ( I haven’t gotten the nerve to explain to her that she is probably the only one from TX doing the walk, which is probably the only reason she is asked to carry the flag every year – we’ll just let her continue to think she is special…).

I will say that I was impressed – there were 22 states represented at the walk – pretty cool.


We were definitely sore after the 20 miles, but overall, we were in decent shape given that we hadn’t really trained (oh, and, given that Lexi is 5 months pregnant!).









In order to help eliminate some of the pain, I took advantage of the free massage afterwards.


This may sound like a great idea, but there were a few things wrong with this – a) it was a massage therapy student who must have enrolled the day before, as I could barely feel what he was doing, b) I was sweaty and nasty after walking and was slightly embarrassed when I realized that he was being forced to be up close and personal with a sweaty, nasty person who just walked 20 miles, c) he massaged my butt. Typically? In the privacy of my own massage room when I’m paying $100? I’m ok with this. On a table surrounded by 20 other walkers (and, an obnoxious sister taking pictures), it was awkward, d) I was wearing shorts. He was doing crazy stretching with my legs. It was awkward. Enough said.

Opa and Grandma took care of the kids during the day when we walked. They ate at a restaurant and played on the beach – two of Avery’s favorites. They kept Opa and Grandma busy, but overall, they were reportedly well behaved.

Overall, it was a successful walk and a great family weekend.


We raised nearly $4,000 as a team, so thank you to all of you who donated – we really appreciate it!

Love, Team Sweetpea

No comments:

Post a Comment