Monday, September 13, 2010

Could whoever stole our sweet Avery, please return her?

So, daycare had this great idea. They taught the kids manners for a week and then, on the Friday of that week, they had a tea party at daycare so that all of the kids could practice their manners. It was really a cute thing – all of the tables had table cloths and centerpieces and all of the kids had a cup and saucer. They were all told to dress up, so the girls were in dresses (most in princess dresses except for Avery because it was too itchy) and the boys were in suits and ties. And, then the teachers walked around with trays of food and served them all. Josh and I went to watch it – it was really adorable. Until…….about 2 weeks ago. Because, you see – now that Avery is a pro at manners? She thinks that she is all that...

She thinks that she knows all about everything and not only that, but that she can explain all about everything to Josh and I while using a not so pleasant tone. My lord! She has been taken over by this snotty, bossy child. Ok, well, she has always been a bit bossy, but never snotty...until recently.





Needless to say, she and I have had numerous conversations about her tone and she has had one or two situations where she has been sent to her room. I’m hoping this is just a phase and that it ends soon, because if she is like this at 3, what is she going to be like at 13? I will say that, even though she has this tone, she does say a few things here and there that make you laugh. For example, the other day, I handed her something and she said:

Avery – “Thank you, Mommy.”
Whitney – “Sure.”
Avery – “No, Mommy – you don’t say ‘sure’ after someone says ‘thank you.’ You say, ‘you’re welcome.’ Now, let’s try this again…”


She had me! I mean, she was right! And, was hilarious with the “Now, let’s try this again” comment. So, I just had to play along with that one.

I did just have lunch with a friend who told me that her 3-year-old son is having the same type of tone every now and then, which makes me feel better. However, she followed that comment with “You and Avery are going to kill each other before too long” and I had to agree. Having two Whitney’s, one who is 3 and one who is 33, living in the same house is not a good combination. Wish me luck….



No comments:

Post a Comment