Thursday, August 12, 2010

Who invented 2-day weekends, anyway?

Seriously – have you ever wondered why the weekends are only 2 days? I mean, who decided that? Why doesn’t everyone work 4 days and then have off for 3 every week? Or, why isn’t the week 8 days and then we can work 5 and then have off 3? Surely that one has to do with the moon, stars, etc. , but whatever…it bugs me.

One of the things that I like about living in RI is Victory Day. What’s that, you ask? First of all, it used to be called Victory over Japan Day, but as you can see, that wasn’t too PC, so someone decided to change it to Victory Day. Regardless, it is a holiday that only RI has off. I’m not sure why, but we do. And, I embrace it. So, not only did we have Monday off for Victory Day, but my boss decided that Friday would be a great time to take advantage of “flexible summer hours” and he told us all to leave at 12:30. So, I practically got a 4 day weekend out of it.

After this weekend, I’ve decided that I need every Friday afternoon off. I can’t believe how much stuff I got done. I got my car washed, got the tire fixed on the stroller (which cost me 8 $@%#@ing dollars for FIVE minutes of work), went to Petco and spent way too much money on bird seed and dog stuff, went grocery shopping, went to the liquor store and then came home and cleaned the entire house. Can you imagine what I could have done had I had the ENTIRE day off? My lord.

So, because I got all of this stuff done on Friday, the rest of the weekend was spent playing! Saturday, my friend Natalie came down from Franklin, MA with her son, Ethan and we all went to the beach, which was great.

The kids all had a great time. Then, miraculously, we got home and put all of the kids down for a nap at the same time. It was fabulous. Natalie and I were able to enjoy a nice glass of white wine on the deck and actually have an adult conversation. When the kids got up, they played in the yard for another couple of hours (which allowed for another nice glass of white wine) – it was great!


(nevermind the look of "why are you playing with MY toy?" on Alex's face in this one...



Oh – I had also made this fabulous homemade salsa recipe that I found, so we were able to enjoy that on the deck as well (I would highly recommend this).

Sunday, back to the beach and then over to Lindsey’s house for dinner where she made these fabulous ribs with this fabulous bbq sauce (which I would also highly recommend).

Monday was kind of a lazy day, as the weather wasn’t all that great, but we did venture out and get to Target in the afternoon as a family (which I believe is a first). While I enjoyed having my husband there, I will say that his idea of Target shopping (i.e., get in, get what you need, don’t look around, and leave) is not really as pleasant as mine (i.e., get in, wonder around, look at everything we don’t need, but I really really want and end up buying it anyway, then wondering around some more and then, an hour and $100 later, leave).

However, the most exciting part of the day!!!???? There is a Babies R’ Us going in right across the street from Target, so I will now have one that is 20 mins away vs. an hour and 20 mins away!!!! If THAT isn’t reason enough to have another, I don’t know what is!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment