Monday, November 9, 2009

Corporate Woman Yet Again

Well, it happened- maternity leave ended. It was depressing the first time around with Avery after 5 months of being with her every day and it was even more depressing this time around – not only because I only had 4 months (I know, I know – a lot more than a lot of people get, I’m not complaining. Actually, I am. Sorry) at home with Alex, but because this could quite possibly be the last time I ever have maternity leave. Kind of sad to know that there will never be another time in my life when I can just schedule vacations or play dates or run errands whenever I want and as frequently as I want. But, enough about me…
The last weekend of maternity leave was a great one – it was Alex’s first Halloween and Avery’s first Halloween where she actually understood what was going on. Well, kind of. She understood that she got to run around outside and go to people’s houses and say, “Trick or Treat!!” And, we told her that she would be getting candy (or CANS OF SODA – which was the case at TWO houses. WHAT??? Who the hell gives cans of coke to kids on Halloween? Apparently 80 year olds who live in our neighborhood), but she honestly didn’t really care about that part. She had the best time just running around outside with all of the kids and yelling, “Come on everybody! Let’s go to another house!!! This is fun!!!” As you can see, she was a butterfly
and Alex was a chili pepper (or, a strawberry according to my mother).
From the looks of this picture, he may have been happier as a strawberry.
The original plan was to make Avery’s costume ( I was feeling pressured because the moms who we went trick or treating with all made their kids’ costumes), but I quickly realized that I in fact am better at going to the internet and clicking as opposed to going to the sewing machine and sewing. So, the wings were purchased (and, of course, I made this decision way too late and ended up spending more than the cost of the wings on shipping to ensure it got there in time. Ugh). However, I DID paint the butterfly on her face. I’m sorry, but I think that I clearly have an undiscovered talent here. You have to admit you are impressed with this.

The following Monday, it was time to go back to work. Day one went well. Of course, the night before I got EVERYTHING ready that I could possibly think of – Alex’s bottles, the breastmilk, my pumping stuff, my computer, my lunch, my outfit, Alex’s outfit and Avery’s outfit. Night before day two? Nadda. Nothing. Zippo. I figured it wouldn’t last forever, but I thought for sure I could handle getting things ready the night before for more than one day! As it turns out, by the time I get home, feed Alex, get him to bed, eat dinner and get Avery to bed, I’m exhausted. And, at that point, I (heaven forbid) want to spend just 1 hour doing what I want to do. So, I do. Which, of course, results in me running around like a chicken with my head cut off the next morning, but whatever. That one hour is worth it. Unfortunately, Alex was sick on Tues, Wed and Thurs (nothing serious – just the runs, but no fever, which I know because I took his temp like every 5 mins) and given the fact that I just got back from 4 months off, we didn’t think that it would be smart for me to take more time off during the first week. So, Josh and Alex had some major bonding time those days (one of the many upsides of having a husband who works for his father). Josh has a whole new appreciation for stay at home moms now. Don’t get me wrong – he does a TON around the house, but he has never spent that much quality time with either one of them as an infant this young. I will say that I have received constant grief ever since because both nights, he managed to have our dinner and Avery’s dinner ready when we got home. I’ll be honest – I think that happened two times in the 4 months that I was home. BUT, come on! I had two of them there AND Alex was WAY more fussy then, which made it impossible to do anything. Josh definitely got the new, happy Alex, which makes things MUCH easier.

Ok, if I don't stop typing this and get back to work, the title of the next post will be “Corporate Woman No Longer," so I’m signing off for now. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment