Sunday, October 25, 2009

Our little princess....or not

This weekend, Avery was invited to her second Princess birthday party where she was supposed to wear her favorite princess dress. This was a bit tricky, as Avery is totally not into princesses. That being said, I sucked it up and spent $20 on a Snow White dress and then on a Belle dress. It really is unbelievable how into these princesses some of these girls are. One woman said that her daughter wears her princess dress every day for as long as they will let her. Uh…what? It makes me wonder – is it because we just haven’t exposed her to princesses (not really on purpose – I guess it is just because I was never into real girly girl stuff growing up) or is it more that she just isn’t that kind of girl who is into it? Regardless, I first attempted the Snow White dress and she didn’t like how that felt when she had it on. So, I went out and got the Belle dress, which she was all excited about, but just as we were trying to get out the door, she announced that she didn’t want to wear it. I went back and forth at that point as to whether or not I really cared. I knew that all of the other girls would be in a dress, but I couldn’t determine whether it was she or I who really cared that she would be the only one not in one. I realized quickly that I was being that mom, so I stopped trying to push it and put her in a regular (or, as we call them, party dresses) dress instead. Sure enough, every other little girl was wearing a princess dress.
It didn’t phase Avery a bit. They even had Ariel show up and Avery could have cared less.

Oh - I nearly forgot – the weekend started off with 3 friends of mine and their kids coming over on Friday morning. This was interesting, as they all have boys (ranging in ages 5 months to 4 years) and I, as of right now, only have one boy who doesn’t do much at this point. Turns out, boys get into anything they can get their hands on. Don’t get me wrong – they were all well behaved. However, things like play dough and my blackberry are all fair game when left out. Avery really is unique when it comes to this stuff, as she would never play with it without asking first. We’ve never had to baby proof the house at all because she just doesn’t get into things. So, I never even thought to put this stuff away until I turned around and play dough was every where, my blackberry had been pulled off of the window sill where it was charging and was on the floor ( I know, that one was dumb on my part) and there was a puddle of water on the ground where one of the boys decided that perhaps my hard wood floors were thirsty and, to satisfy this, he pushed the button on the water thing on our refrigerator...over and over again. None of this stuff really bugged me – it was just comical because it made me realize that I am SOOO not ready for Alex to get older. We’re screwed. And, so is chili because his litter pans are in the basement and apparently, you can’t leave a basement door open with a baby boy who is crawling and I refuse to have the litter pans anywhere else in the house, so it looks like Chili has to go within the next 5 months. Takers? Anyone?

Alex is awesome. A very happy baby ( I know, I know – I would have NEVER thought this 3 months ago). He is smiling and laughing a ton. He went to daycare this last week for 2 days as a trial run. He did great. Didn’t sleep much and apparently I nearly starved him, as his bottles didn’t have enough breast milk, but other than that, he was great. Turns out, frozen chunks of milk don’t actually cause the level in the bottle to raise, but actually, to go down. My sister nearly fell over and died when I told her this and reminded me that I clearly need to go back to science class, as things expand when they are frozen, but whatever…

I’m entering my last week of maternity leave and it sucks. I’m actually getting used to this stay at home mom thing. Granted, being a stay at home mom is easier when the kids are actually going to daycare, but still...

Me being me, I have procrastinated and have waited until the last 2 weeks of my leave to schedule all of the appointments that I need to, so I’ll be doing that this week as well as running any other last minute errands that I have to do before heading back. I’ll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. I have a feeling I know where Miss Avery's self assurance comes from - her mom! And Alex may now be the smileyist (hmm...spelling?) baby ever! Too cute! Can't wait to see them both soon. Oh, and you guys too of course :)

    - Christine Scheidegger

    ReplyDelete