Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Old Man Winter HATES New England

It's funny - just the other day, I was thinking to myself -Self? We haven't had ANY snow this winter!  I wonder if we will even get some at all?  Yeah....Self?  You screwed yourself.  We got nailed by our first blizzard the next night.  It started at around 3 PM and continued until late Tuesday.  Mind you - this was being classified as a "historical blizzard" and what does my husband do? 




Grills dinner of course!  As it turns out, it was a good thing he did, as the grill was buried with snow and has not been seen since.

I think that we ended up with about 2 feet of snow total, but!!!!!!  NEVER.  LOST.  POWER!!!!!  It was seriously a miracle.  This is the first storm since I've lived here that LC didn't lose power. And, I will say - I can handle a blizzard with power!!!  It was actually somewhat enjoyable.  We all just hunkered down and found things to do inside.  Of course, you know our family and staying indoors for too long tends to make all of us a bit cooped up, so we did all get out at least once during the day.  Alex and Josh went out to shovel and sled (i.e., Josh pulled him up the road on the sled). 








Then, Avery joined them during round 2. 



And, me?  I got an onion.  Yes.  An onion.  As you can imagine, one of the best things to do while being stuck inside is to cook (and drink wine).  But, of course, every recipe I found needed an onion and we did not have one.  But....Kristen and Randal did.  :)  So, out I went.  Surprisingly, the roads weren't bad ( I was walking).  The only issue I had was when I got to their house - the drifts were literally up to my waist.  I stepped in one and thought that I wouldn't be able to get out.  Insane.  But, I got the onion and we had a great meal that night! 







So, that storm left us homebound with no school for 2 days straight.  The upside was that the second day was gorgeous (in New England terms) - 30 degrees and sunny!  So, the kids got their first round of sledding in for the season.  We started at home and then headed over the Grammy and Grampy's old house and had a great time!




 



The following weekend, we had 2 of the kids' friends over and went sledding down an even better hill.  They all had a blast.







That same night (less than a week from the 1st blizzard)?  You guessed it...another blizzard.  I will say that this one was well-timed, as it was Super Bowl Sunday and we found out right before the game that school was cancelled.  Definitely made for a more enjoyable game knowing that we didn't have to be at work or school the next day.  Not to mention ,the Pats winning never hurts (although, I'm still heartbroken that the Pack didn't make it).  This one was almost worse - it started with snow, then switched to rain and then back to snow again.  So, everything was a slushy mess during the day and then an icy mess at night.  And, still is for that matter.  But, again - we kept power! So, all in all, I was fine. 

I will tell you one individual who is NOT ok with the snow.  This guy...


That path that he is standing in?  Leads to a small area that we literally had to shovel out for him to go to the bathroom.  Not only that, but the temps have been so cold that we haven't even been able to take him for any good walks. 

Since then?  We have literally had snow almost every.  single.  day.  In fact, school was closed the following Monday as well and we just got another storm this last weekend on Valentine's Day.  Unbelievable.  I think that at this point, we are all done with this weather.  Insane.
















No comments:

Post a Comment