Thursday, July 10, 2014

Dance Mom

I SWEAR I am not turning into one.  Really.  Ok, maybe a little bit.  Kind of.  Sort of. 

I mean, it is impossible not to when you have a daughter who is in dance, does relatively well at it, and enjoys it!  But, man - talk about a "sport" that is a bit time consuming???

It started on Tuesday of last week (which of course was the Tuesday after my insane Sunday and Monday with the Al-Man).  This one wasn't horrible.  Avery had a dance rehearsal, but it required no costume, hair or makeup.  This is huge.  Granted, we still needed Grammy's help, as she had to be there before I could get out of work to get her there, but Grammy ended up being there for about an hour and then I was able to get there to relieve her of her duties.  Thankfully, they didn't go in show order that night, so we were out of there by around 7 PM (only to race to the grocery store to pick up cupcake supplies and then to race home and bake and decorate said cupcakes, but that is another story). 

Thursday night, we had another rehearsal, but this one was dress.  Full makeup, costume and hair.   Josh was able to get her there, but needless to say, was incapable of doing other than the costume. So, luckily, I got out of work a bit early and then raced to the rehearsal just in time to get her made up before she went on stage.  This night however?  Show order.  When did Avery perform her last (of three) dances?  SECOND. TO. LAST.  We didn't leave there until 9 PM. UGH! 

Friday was the big performance.  Given that Avery had 3 different dances, she had asked me to volunteer to be a "room parent" so that I could be there to help with her hair, makeup and costume changes.  So, I agreed.  Wow.  Little did I realize the responsibilities that I would actually have - primarily to make sure that the little kids (including a very energetic and mischievous set of twins) didn't run out of the room and/or into the audience looking for their mom and/or out on stage during another performance.  Basically, it involved a lot of crayons, paper, movies and of course, food.  Those kids probably consumed more pretzels that night than their parents have ever let them have in their entire life. But, whatever.  It kept them occupied.

Unfortunately, given that I was a room parent, I was not able to see the actual performance.  But, I did at least see most of the dress rehearsal and I couldn't tape Avery during the actual performance anyway, so I'm attaching the videos from the rehearsal- not the best quality, but you'll get the gist. YouTube isn't cooperating with the third dance, so two it is for now.  I was told that she did a great job at the actual performance and she was happy with it, which is all that matters.  Although, as you will see in the videos below, she has a tendency to rely on her friends and look at them during the performance.  She was told by her teacher that "she knows the dance better than anyone else," so I think that it got better by the last performance that night.

It sounds like the director wants her to potentially be part of the Junior Competitive team next year.  Oh lord.  Not sure how much additional dance I can handle, but we'll see...



 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment