Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"Alex Lightyear"





So, I think that I mentioned it briefly, but we're having a bit of an issue with Avery not taking naps while at school.  I will say that she is not 100% to blame.  For whatever reason, they only give the kids 40 mins to come in from outside, get their bedding, calm down enough to the point where they will fall asleep and then to take the actual nap.  Clearly this isn't enough time.  When I asked the teacher about it, she informed me that the principal wants to focus more on the academics this year, so she decided to start the special activities (i.e., library, art, music, foreign languages, etc) at 1:30 this year vs. 2:00, as it has been in the past. Don't get me wrong - I am all about those special activities.  However, when it interferes with my child's nap time and as a result, she falls asleep on the way home only to be in a horrible mood every night?  I think that the library can wait for another 30 mins.  AND, not only does she come home in a horrible mood every night, but I just recently read an article on the importance of sleep for toddlers and how, if they don't get enough sleep, it can effect them developmentally.  Great.  My kid will be able to speak french, but her growth will be stunted because she isn't getting enough sleep.  I explained to the teacher that I think that the principal needs to accompany Josh on his drive home with Avery and once she witnesses the meltdown, she may change her mind on these "special activities."  The teacher agreed.  I have yet to make the call extending the invite. 

ANYWAY - while I don't think that they are giving the kids enough time, I do think that, if she really tried, she could squeeze in some sort of a nap.  However, from what it sounds like, Avery is too concerned with a) the fact that she knows that she doesn't have much time to nap and b) the fact that apparently other kids aren't napping and "are keeping her awake."  So, because of all of this, she isn't even attempting to nap.  That said, we had the discussion with her the other night that, if she doesn't start to at least TRY to nap every day, she will be punished.  The conversation went something like this...

Avery - "What will happen to me if I don't try to sleep?"

Mom - "We will start taking away one toy each night."

Avery - "Like, what toys?"

Mom - "Well, we'll probably start with your baby dolls."

Dad - "And, then, we'll start to take away your purses."

Avery - "Are you going to take ALL of my toys away?"

Mom -"Well, yes - if you don't start trying to nap, we will eventually take all of your toys away."

Avery - "Even my brother?????"



She has a point.  We clearly can't take her brother away.  Although, up until that point, I was not aware that apparently, she thinks of her brother as a toy.  Poor Al. 

No comments:

Post a Comment