Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Ho, Ho, Holy Cow - What a Week!

Let me start by saying that, all in all, it did end up being a very nice holiday. But, it wasn’t without it’s fair share of ups and downs. Just to highlight a few of them….

- Beginning of Christmas week, we keep Alex home because of a cough. Day 3 of the cough, he gets a fever. We go to the doctor – where she tells us that he in fact has pneumonia. Really? Can this kid not catch a break? Here he is with his Opa in the height of his fever (note the red cheeks)

- My parents arrive safely the Tuesday before Christmas, but my mom arrives with a bad cold, which then spreads to my father, me and Avery (although, Alex may have been the root cause of me and Avery…who knows). I just felt badly for her that she doesn’t get a cold all year and then gets one right when she needs to fly.

- Wednesday night (the same day Alex gets diagnosed with pneumonia), our heat goes out in the middle of the night. Avery woke up from a bad dream, so I went into her room only to find out that it was FREEZING in there. So, I look at the thermostat – set at 65, temperature = 57. Not good. Clearly a 6 month old with pneumonia cannot stay in a house with no heat. So, at 2 am, I pack Alex and myself up and head to my in-laws’ house to spend the night. I do this while my father and Josh are up trying to read approx. 5 different manuals to try to figure out what the hell happened. Turns out, the diaphragm in our tank froze. Whatever. The guy was out there at 8 am the following morning to fix it and everyone survived the night (Avery slept through the entire thing and woke up wondering why she had 5 blankets on her. I still can’t believe she slept through all of that).

- Christmas Eve – everything was fine until right after dinner, at which point, the sandwich that I had for lunch decided to revisit. Apparently, the Italian grinder didn’t agree with my stomach and it let me know about it for the next 3-4 hours. Thankfully, it passed in time for Christmas day.

- Christmas morning was great. Avery was more interested in whether Santa ate the cookie that we left out than she was in the presents. In fact, she barely even noticed the presents and we had to point out the easel that he had gotten her. At which point, she looked at it and exclaimed, “It’s a Weasel!!!!!” Too funny. We literally were still opening gifts through Sunday – apparently she could only handle so many on the actual holiday!

- The rest of Christmas day was spent running around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to get ready to host dinner at our house. Overall, it turned out great, but man! I have a whole new appreciation for all of those “adults” who have hosted Christmas all these years.

- Sunday, my parents and I went to the mansions in Newport. We were supposed to have gone on Wednesday while the kids were in daycare, but given how everyone was feeling at the time, it didn’t happen. Which, in hindsight was fine. Josh stayed home with the kids and we did the mansion tours and didn’t have to worry about changing diapers, nursing, burping, etc. Although, I was stupid and neglected to bring my pump with me, so the day was cut a bit short as I felt as though I was about to explode towards the end. Lesson learned there.

- And…to top it all off, Sunday afternoon, I received an email from the woman who took Chili – he’s coming back. Apparently, he hisses at her 4 year old daughter whenever she walks into the room. Go figure. That cat is such a pain in my butt, but I just can’t let them get rid of him and not know what happens to him. I still haven’t broken the news to my husband, as I’m pretty certain this may be grounds for divorce. So, for those of you who are in touch with him between now and this weekend, don’t you dare mention this to him! If you do, I’m sending this damn cat your way!

Like I said, all in all, it was a nice holiday. Avery enjoyed herself, which is what is important. She is still a good year from understanding Santa entirely, but she had fun regardless.
Alex is feeling much better, which is also good. He’s pooping like a goose because of these meds that he is on. Poor thing – he is either pooping once every 10 days or pooping 10 times a day. We can’t win.
Here’s to 2010 bringing full nights of sleep, and no more serious illnesses for any of the Holland family members and normal and consistent poops….

No comments:

Post a Comment