Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Big Bad Wolves

So, the other day, my mother-in-law told me a somewhat funny, yet freightening story. She said that she was talking to a co-worker and he asked how Alex was doing and when she said that he was a bit fussy (see below for further discussion on this point), he made the comment that he can’t believe that the human race even exists because, in his opinion, infants, until the age of 1 should just be thrown to the wolves because they are just too difficult most of the time. Well, clearly that seems a bit harsh and quite unrealistic, but come on – all of you with kids out there, you have to admit – there have been times where something along those lines sounds like a damn good idea. However, seeing as how I’m not totally insane (although, recently, I’ve wondered), I’ve decided to throw him in the Ergo rather than throw him to the wolves in order to get him to calm down. First of all – for all of my friends who plan to have more kids and don’t have this – I would highly recommend it. It is WAY more comfortable than the Bjorn and you can use it until the kid is pretty old, as it will eventually go on your back and they can ride in it that way.

Oh, and you will notice my 2 year old looking a bit PWT without a shirt on. By that point, I had tried to get her to put one on for a half hour and had just given up - I've learned to pick my battles. ANYWAY – yes, I have succumb to “baby wearing” because that is one of the only ways that my child will calm down at times. Either that, or nurse him, which is also a type of baby wearing, I guess. Poor Alex has reflux really badly and is in pain a decent amount of time, which in turn, causes us to have to deal with a crying child for most of the day. I have found that, as long as we stay on the go, we are fine because he does sleep in the stroller and in the car, so that is what we’ve done. I’ve also cut out all coffee, chocolate, dairy, spicy foods, peanut butter (yes, I read that can irritate their stomach and it does seem like he does better without it) and tomatoe-y foods out of my diet to see if this will help. I swear – I need to just eat boiled chicken breasts and bread and that will probably cure this problem. Anyway - I’m hoping as he gets older, he will grow out of this. With my luck, it will be right when I go back to work. We’ll see. Although, I must say - even with all of the issues, he sure is a cute child! :)
yes - he is clearly borrowing his sister's blanket








On a positive note – we did actually all get out of the house one night!!!!! I swear, you would have thought that I was going to prom with how excited I was. Josh’s cousin and uncle were in town from Florida, so we all had dinner at his parents club (we’re fancy like at – actually, we just tag along – his parents are fancy like that). It was just so nice getting out of the house and enjoying a glass of wine and good food and wearing something other than workout clothes or the one pair of shorts and one shirt that currently fits me. AND, as it turns out – I do have eyes!!!! I just need to get a little makeup on them in order for anyone to see them!


Here is a picture of Avery all ready for the big night out wearing one of the cutest dresses I think that I’ve ever gotten her (and, it should be given the freaking price). I was psyched that she actually got a chance to wear it because I was convinced she wouldn’t.


And, here is Alex in one of the nicer outfits that he owns.



On another positive note – Christine came in from NYC this last weekend. It was so great seeing her and having some girl time. She is amazing with Avery and Avery really adores her. She is still asking where Auntie Christine went. She was a HUGE help with both Avery and Alex. This is her trying to give Alex a bottle – didn’t have a ton of luck, but then again none of us really did.

Which, brings me to my next story. I was bound and determined to go out to dinner with Christine on Sat. night and have sushi and wine – 2 things I haven’t had in a long time. So, I figure, might as well make sure Alex will take a bottle before I leave (mind you – I had given him one a week earlier and he sucked it down). Well, that night? Not a chance. He wanted nothing to do with it. So, basically, the night started out with me crying on the couch nursing Alex, Josh trying to suggest 1000 different things that we could do in an hours time so that we could at least get out of the house, Christine trying to occupy Avery by taking her for a walk outside and my inlaws coming in the middle of the entire fiasco not really quite sure what to say or do. Well, eventually, Christine and I left and went to a restaurant down the road from our house and got a glass of wine and ordered food to go (all at Josh’s suggestion) while Josh took Alex in the ergo and walked around the neighborhood for AN HOUR AND A HALF so that he would sleep. In the mean time, his parents cooked (josh was originally supposed to cook for them) and fed Avery and got her ready for bed. Pretty crazy all around, but I have to say, I felt like a new woman after just an hour and a half away. The two glasses of wine didn’t hurt either (ironically enough, Alex slept very well that night. Hmmmmmm…I may have found a soloution! Kidding. Kind of).
Avery continues to do well with the situation, but is having a few more emotional breakdowns lately. I think that the 5 days away from daycare this weekend was part of the problem, but there were a few discussions had that involved me explaining to her that she can not scream “no” at her parents, etc. She still loves her baby brother Alex and wants to give him hugs and kisses whenever she can, which is good. She also likes to give him stickers out of her 700 sticker Thomas book. Poor kid...

That’s about it for the last couple of weeks. I hate to sound like things are horrible. They really aren’t. We’re managing. But, man! This two kid thing is a challenge at times! I’ll close with a classic picture of Avery and Alex – this pretty much sums it all up…


No comments:

Post a Comment